If you are looking for 1st line support staff, then you will need to go through the recruitment process. An important part of this is the interview and the interview questions. Whatever role you are hiring for, you will need to make sure that you are asking the right questions, in order to eventually hire the right person for the job. Alternatively, you might be a candidate looking to get into IT Support and might want to know what sort of questions to expect in your interview.
Here, we have put together a list of 1st line support interview questions for those that are looking to add to their support team and those candidates that want to get started in IT Support.
1st line support interview questions
- Do you have experience in dealing with angry/rude customers?
- How would you react when dealing with an angry customer?
- Do you have past experience working within a team?
- How would you communicate with someone who is not familiar with basic IT?
- How would you go about setting up a new employee with their phone/desktop etc.?
- What would you say is something your dislike about IT Support?
- What are some systems/packages that you are familiar with?
- Have you had experience setting up software/desktop/email etc. for new employees before?
- What do you think is the most effective way to learn the in-house package quickly?
- Highlight/explain some key learning points from your previous roles.
- If someone complained about a slow server, which tools would use to troubleshoot the problem?
- If the audio for your laptop/computer is not working. What would you do?
Other common IT Support jobs questions
- What are your key skills in IT Support that can help you thrive in this role?
- Which desktop operating systems are you familiar with/confident in using?
- What are some of the most common ports on a computer?
- How would you set up a basic home network?
These are just some of the questions you can ask or expect to be asked. However, they will likely be altered according to the company and the exact job role. It is also important to ask some questions to get to know the candidate.